Thursday, March 31, 2011

ARC Review: Exposed

Exposed by Kimberly Marcus
Released:
Published by:
Random House Books For Young Readers

Pages: 288, Hardcover
Young Adult
Source: Publisher, Thank You!
|Author Website|


In the dim light of the darkroom, I'm alone, but not for long. As white turns to gray, Kate is with me. The background of the dance studio blurred, so the focus is all on her legs extended in a perfect soaring split. The straight line to my squiggle, my forever-best friend.  
Sixteen-year-old Liz Grayson is photogirl—sharp, focused and ready to take the world by storm with her camera. But Liz's entire life is called into question when her brother is accused of a crime—and the accuser is Liz's own best friend. As the aftershocks from that accusation rip through Liz's world, everything she thought she knew about photography, family, friendship and herself, shifts out of focus. And for the first time in her life, Liz finds herself unable to trust her own point of view. Told in stunning, searingly raw free verse,  Exposed is Kimberly Marcus's gut-wrenching, riveting debut and will appeal to fans of Ellen Hopkins, Laurie Halse Anderson and Virginia Euwer Wolff.  Synopsis via Goodreads.




My Thoughts:


Kimberly Marcus brought us a fast pitched and deep novel in Exposed.  Like Exposed, a novel in verse, a typically formatted review simply won't do.  So while this will be short, don't let the word count fool you.


So much about Exposed was predictable but the execution made it unique and it was the key focuses of the book that made it so much more then what I expected.  I never expected the topic of photography to be such a deep rooted emotion and life lesson in Exposed.  It truly took the title of the book and the main character's driving passion in life to another level.  It wasn't just a hobby it was a way of life and a definition for what makes up real life, which was completely fitting for this slightly coming-of-age tale.


The thing for me with novels in verse are the fact they paint a picture in a completely different light than other novels.  An author writing in verse really only has one shot at making an impact and driving home the emotions we strive to feel while reading.   Luckily for me, a reader who rarely picks up verse novels, Kimberly Marcus delivered her young adult debut effortlessly and with a style that read flawless of any seams.

Kimberly Marcus didn't hold back where other authors could have.  
Exposed was extremely empowering, personal and raw.  I will definitely be picking up all future works by 2011 YA Debut Author, Kimberly Marcus.




Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Good to know, I will definitely be checking this out soon. Although, when I think of it, I've never read a book in verse form. Hopefully its for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm-- I usually don't do novels in verse but this sounds really good. Thanks for the review.



    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love comments! Make sure to follow my blog if you like it. Also, make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can return the favor.