Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review: Lipstick Apology


Lipstick Apology by Jennifer Jabaley
Released: August 06, 2009
Published by: Razorbill
Young Adult
Pages: 288, paperback
Source: Purchased
Overall: Fab! 
|Author Blog| |Author Twitter



Sometimes a good-bye is just the beginning...When Emily Carson's parents die in a plane crash, she's left with nothing but her mother's last words scrawled in lipstick on a tray table: "Emily, please forgive me."
Now it's fall and Emily moves to New York City where she attracts the attention of two very different boys: the cute, popular Owen, and her quirky chemistry partner, Anthony. With the help of some surprising new friends, Emily must choose between the boy who helps her forget and the one who encourages her to remember, and ultimately heal.
Debut author Jennifer Jabaley has written a wonderful, feel-good romantic comedy with real emotional depth. Full of lovably wacky characters, Lipstick Apology is a heartwarming story about the true meaning of forgiveness.

My Thoughts:

I couldn't imagine being in Emily's shoes.  My best friend finally convinces me to throw a  party to get my crush to look over at me and instead of a steamy night of dates promised and maybe a kiss, I get my Aunt from NYC crashing my party to pass on the horrific and knee crumbling news that my parents were killed in a plane crash and my mother left me a mysterious apology written in lipstick on her tray table.

When you read the back of Lipstick Apology you may think that this book is only about a girl's grief, the abrupt changes in her life and hopefully some positive growth, but you truly get more.  At least I did.


Jennifer Jabaley painted a world unlike one I've ever lived in when she showed us Emily's transition from Small Town Pennsylvania to NYC.  It wasn't only Emily who was adjusting to her new living situation, it was an adjustment for Emily's Aunt Jolie and me as well.  The whole dynamic of the story shifted over a few notches and was kicked up into high gear, just like the pace of NYC, adding extra stress to an already almost unbearable situation.

Lipstick Apology flows smoothly from on event and milestone to the next; Emily's loss, moving, makeovers, new school, new friends and boys.  Not everything with Lipstick Apology was shadowed by Emily's parent's death, although that is what set the story into motion.  Even though Emily had to move on without the love and support of her parents, she was given an opportunity to grow and blossom as a young woman, coming into self confidence she didn't know she had, and proving to her that no matter what the situation she could push through and had a support system of new family and friends to help tug her in the right direction.

There were many laughs throughout Lipstick Apology which took the weight off of the situation.  Although this story was slightly cliché with the ugly duckling turning into a beautiful swan and
 a girl having to choose between two guys, there were deeper seeded emotions that came into play.  Don't forget about the mystery lipstick apology that added a whole different facet to this book.  

Lipstick Apology was a quick, smooth and easy read which had a perfect mix of deep rooted emotions, typical teenage behavior, and some laughter and love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love comments! Make sure to follow my blog if you like it. Also, make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can return the favor.