Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review: Human Blend

Human Blend by Lori Pescatore
Release Date: June 12, 2010
Pages: 234 pages

Young Adult
Overall:Photobucket


Marion, Virginia seemed like a nice place to live a normal life, but she is not a normal girl. Laney has special abilities that keep her looking over her shoulder as she makes her escape from the men who had kidnapped her. A young doctor's interest is piqued when he witnesses her mysteriously curing a young child's illness. He befriends her due to his growing fascination with uncovering the true nature of her abilities, but not without harboring secrets of his own. Laney's budding relationship with a local boy puts both of them in danger when the men she was hiding from find her. All of their lives will change forever as ancient secrets become unearthed.
Synopsis via Goodreads


My Thoughts:
I have learned that some great stories come in the form of self published material.  This would be one of them.


Human Blend is the story of Julia, otherwise known as Laney in her previous settings, and her struggle to be normal.  With abilities that far surpass that of a normal human she knows she is different despite her lack of knowledge about her true capabilities or her origin. 


Laney finds a fresh start as Julia after she finds herself wanting to settle in a small town.  She has a rule of not getting close to people and despite all her attempts she finds herself doing just that with not one, but two individuals who both, unknowingly or not, harbor secrets of their own.  Both of these men who Julia finds herself being drawn to and accepting some sort of affection from are also both pulled into the web that is "Laney's" past.


With Lori's character development I couldn't help but really invest myself into a few of the characters, I don't believe I need to even mention which two really caught my attention.  I also found Julia's personality very likable, she was exceptionally strong but extremely vulnerable.  The complex of each character seemed real and never wavered.  We never had any real Jekyll and Hyde moments which was an absolute plus and kept the story consistent.



Lori did a wonderful job at writing a unique and mysterious story that I really had no clue what was going on until it was happening. Set at a wonderful pace the highlights of the plot, and the intricacy of how the whole story came together, really shined through. 

I really did love this story and can't wait for book #2 of the Human Blend trilogy. The only thing I didn't care for about this book is my inability to actually write a review without giving something away, that is how well and intricate this story fits together.  That really isn't something to complain about, is it?

Cover: Photobucket
Characters:Photobucket
Plot: Photobucket
Overall: Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! This book sounds great! I've never heard of it but now, I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love comments! Make sure to follow my blog if you like it. Also, make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can return the favor.