Thursday, March 3, 2011

ARC Review: Demonglass

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins
Released: March 01, 2011
Published By: Hyperion Books CH
Pages: 386, Hardcover
Young Adult
Source: Traded (Thanks, Jacinda!)
|Book Website|
Overall: 5- Flippin' Fabulous! 




Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. 
That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. 
Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. 
But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

My Thoughts:


I forget where I read it but I read that the second book in a series usually falls flat compared to the others.  I can pretty much say with absolute positivity that this isn't the case with Rachel Hawkin's second installment of the Hex Hall series, Demonglass.  Demonglass stood wonderfully on it's own, reminding us of where we left off with Hex Hall, and transitioning into an action packed and emotional second book.


I took this out of my Hex Hall Review because it stood true to Demonglass as well as Hex Hall.
"...Rachel Hawkins provided us with an array of colorful characters that should not have been easily blended, yet she achieved it... Rachel provided each mentioned character with a personality which let each character stand alone.  Never once did I confuse two characters and not see them standing in front of me whether they were defined by their looks or personality."  Even with new additions to our cast of characters, and the loss of some, I still believe that, like book, the characters all had their own worth and could stand alone.  They each had their leading roll in getting this book to its last page.

Sophie Mercer, our returning main character, was just as naive this go around but adoringly snarky and hilarious!  Her wit never ceases to amaze me. "Sophie, although a strong heroine type of her own sort she wasn't completely immune to the charms of a certain resident bad-boy making her even more real."  And still, it couldn't be more true, except this time not only is she still attracted to said bad-boy, Archer, she is stumbling over her feet around someone she never expected to be thrown into such an intense and possible volatile situation with, Cal, Hex Hall's yummy fix-it-mystery-boy.  This is definitely no where near your typical YA Love Triangle.

Cal's character really added another aspect to Sophie's story.  He added a gentle touch to where jagged edges would get in the way.  I knew to expect him in this story, just not in the capacity in which he actually was and I loved it.  I think Cal definitely earned himself a Team Cal shirt this go around, although I am still a bit worried with his choice of last words to Sophie that I may never get a chance to really wear said shirt.  This added storyline definitely was created to tug at your heart and try to split your allegiances you may have formed with any of the other characters.


Don't let my review trick you into believing this is only a story of Sophie and Cal.  Jenna, Sophie's pink-loving vampire B.F.F and Sophie's Father make their presences known and add to the twists and turns of the plot along with a new cast of characters that you can't help but keep your eyes trained on.  Sophie was forced to open her eyes again where Jenna was concerned, showing the realness of the story, the part we can all connect to despite this fantasy world they live in.  Sophie was also forced into a strained situation with her father where they both had to over come growing pains and truth was brought to the forefront in the form of scary truths and emotional hope.

Demonglass really kicked it up a notch with its ever-expanding storyline, fast paced action, and twisted love interests.  Rachel Hawkins has tightened the weave on what had once appeared to be a simple storyline.  With no chance to rest, I have been further brought into Sophie's world leaving me already asking for book number three of the tale. 

Cover:5
Characters:5
Plot:5
Overall:5











Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I think I need to make myself a Team Cal t-shirt, now that you mention it! :)

    I think I actually like Demonglass slightly better than Hex Hall and that's saying something since Hex Hall was one of my favorite books in 2010.

    Great review!

    And everyone needs to read Hex Hall and Demonglass if they have yet to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I still haven't read Hex Hall, and I think I've put it off so long because I'm afraid it won't live up to the great reviews for me. But if you say the sequel is a 5, then I have to start the series! Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Hex Hall, and I just can't wait to read this one. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Hex Hall a lot and look forward to reading the second one in the series. Thanks for the great review!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi!! new follower from the YA book blog directory! love the blog and i'm excited to read more!! havent read these yet but i need to

    follow me too?!
    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED Hex Hall and have been so excited to start Demonglass. I'm glad you like it and great review

    www.brittanysfantasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I love comments! Make sure to follow my blog if you like it. Also, make sure to leave a link to your blog so I can return the favor.